Resolving Problems

The Trustee aims to manage the KPS to high standards but there may be times when you have a query or complaint about your pension or the KPS in general. This can usually be sorted out quickly and informally by the Group Pensions Department.

But if you’re not satisfied with the answers you get you can take your complaint further through a more formal process called the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure – or IDRP for short.

Click here for a short summary of how our IDRP works

This summary is available on request from the Group Pensions Department, together with all our IDRP application forms.

Stage 1

The first step is to fill in a Stage 1 form and return it to the Group Pensions Department. We’ll consider your complaint and give you an answer, usually within 10 working days.

Stage 2

If you’re not happy with our decision you can take your complaint to Stage 2 of the IDRP and appeal to the Trustee to consider your complaint. The Trustee will usually reply within 2 months.

Stage 3

If you are still not satisfied you can approach The Pensions Advisory Service or the Pensions Ombudsman although you are usually recommended to go through The Pensions Advisory Service before approaching the Ombudsman.

TPAS is an independent voluntary service that provides free help and advice to members and other beneficiaries of pension schemes. TPAS is available at any time to help with any pension query you may have or difficulty you have failed to resolve with the pension scheme trustee or administrator.

If you want to contact TPAS:

11 Belgrave Road

Tel: 0845 601 2923

The Pensions Ombudsman can investigate complaints about pension schemes referred to him. The Pensions Ombudsman normally insists that the matter is first dealt with through the pension scheme’s own internal dispute resolution procedure and raised with TPAS.

If you have a complaint or dispute that can’t be resolved by the IDRP or by TPAS you can refer it to the Pensions Ombudsman at:

11 Belgrave Road

Tel: 020 7630 2200

This service, run by the Department for Work and Pensions, may be of help to you if you need to contact the trustees of a previous employer’s pension scheme and can’t trace them yourself.

You can contact the service at:

The Pension Tracing Service
The Pension Service
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
NE98 1BA

Tel: 0845 600 2537